Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability) (CHC33015)
Disability Care is a rich and rewarding career choice, chosen by many because of the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of others. The CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (specialising in Disability) offered by MyPath Education provides comprehensive and quality training, so that you can take the lead to help enrich the lives of those with disabilities and their supporters. In this training course, you will learn to:
- provide individual support in a professional manner,
- communicate positively and effectively with health professionals
- work independently in health and community services,
- work with diverse cultures, people and health issues
- recognise healthy body systems, and identify potential health issues.
Government funding is available for this certificate – eligible candidates can study from as little as $95.
Studying Disability Care
This qualification in disability care reflects the role of disability support professionals in the community and/or residential setting who follow an individualised plan to offer individualised support to those in a permanently disabled capacity. Work involves using discretion and judgement in relation to individual support as well as taking responsibility for decisions and management.
What you will learn in the Certificate 3 in Individual Support (Disability)
Students need to learn a collection of factual, technical and procedural knowledge, as well as some theoretical knowledge of the concepts and practices required to provide person-centred support.
The Certificate III in Individual Support is a broad qualification, and is offered with three specialities: Aged Care, Disability Care, and In-Home Care. To complete the course with a specialty in Disability Care, students will complete a total of 13 units: seven core units, four specialist units in Disability Care and Management, and two additional elective units.
CHC33015 Individual Support General Course units:
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
- CHCCCS023 Support independence and well being
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCCCS011 Meet personal support needs
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
CHC33015 Disability Specialisation Units
- CHCDIS001 Contribute to ongoing skills development using a strengths-based approach
- CHCDIS002 Follow established person-centred behaviour supports
- CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
To achieve this qualification, the candidate must have completed a Police check, as well as at least 120 hours of work placement (see Assessment Requirements).
Job Opportunities - Individual Support Certificate 3 (Disability Care)
Career outcomes/ job titles may include the following across the Community Services & Health and Community industries.
- Lifestyle Support Worker
- Direct Care Worker
- Accommodation Support Worker (Disability)
- Respite Care Worker
The role of these workers, in a range of community settings and clients’ homes, involves promoting a person-centred approach while providing training and support in a manner that empowers people with disabilities to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and wellbeing.
With further study into a certificate IV or higher; you could progress to become a:
- Team Leader
- Disability Officer – Day Support
- Disability Support Worker
- Disability Services Manager
- Service Coordinator – Disability
Learning with MyPath
- Small group face to face classes including theory, simulated & practical assessment.
- Online learning including theory, simulated and practical assessment
- Self-paced learning with workbooks including theory, simulated and practical assessment
- One contact day a week plus additional support
- 2x semesters at 13 weeks per semester
- 120 hours of work placement under supervision
- Work placement organised after completing 2 semesters.
- If face to face we will find you placement.
- Online students will need to source own placement however MyPath will assist.
- Read more about how to find 120 hours work placement
- Work placement organised after completing 2 semesters.
- Available to start throughout the year.
- Dedicated trainers with industry experience who are passionate about the industry.
- Access to trainer via Email, Phone and in person.
- Professionally presented reference materials to assist students in developing their knowledge of the units.
- More career opportunities and up-skilling and productivity gains
- Nationally recognised qualification upon successful completion of the course.
2020 Individual Support courses
If you are looking for a fresh start, a new career in Ageing, Disability, Home & Community care in 2019, MyPaths Individual Support classes are the course for you.
Suburbs on our list are as follows:
- Aspley – Next intake 5th Feb
- Ipswich – Next intake 24th Feb
- Yatala – Next intake 27th Feb
- Blended Learning with Practical components
Alternatively, as mentioned above, if in class doesn’t suit your learning style we also offer the Certificate III in Individual support online, so you can sign up and start studying at your own pace.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Do you have a past education in this field (or a related field), previous industry training, or life experience in disability care? You may be able to fast track you’re learning with Recognition of Prior Learning exemptions. Take a look at our page on Recognition of Prior Learning for more details.
Government funding for the Certificate 3 in Individual Support may be available depending on your circumstances. Funding support and employer incentives might also be available under the Australian Apprenticeships Incentive Program.
Individuals completing their first post-school Certificate III qualification in Queensland could be eligible for the Certificate 3 Guarantee subsidy. Funding is available for this certificate with prices starting from as little as $50 if you are eligible. For more information about funding support, call us today.